Call us for a quote on 

Domestic and commercial pest control for Essex and East London.
No call out charge. Same day service.

Council Property Pest Control in Essex: Get Rid of Pests Fast

a swarm of wasps hovering by the eaves of a house

We Can Remove Pest Infestations in Your Council Property

Most councils do not provide pest control. With continuing cut backs, many councils and local authorities have either reduced their budgets for pest control or completely pulled out of providing pest control services for the public. This applies to both domestic properties and business premises.

This means that in normal circumstances, dealing with pests and vermin on domestic or business premises is the responsibility of the occupier.

Only in very specific circumstances will they attend to reports of pest problems. Often councils will continue to work within the current laws should there be a major risk to human health, but budget cuts will often mean you are referred to the following:

“Under the Prevention of Damage by Pests Act 1949 the occupier or owner of land must keep their land free of rats and mice.” which makes it your responsibility resolve rodent problems yourself.

For example, the Basildon Council pest control policy is as follows:

“Basildon Council does not provide a pest and vermin control service to domestic homes or business premises. The Council will only respond to reports of pest and vermin problems in specific circumstances.”

“Basildon Council does not provide a pest and vermin control service to either council or private tenants, or to the owner / occupiers of domestic homes or business premises.”

Southend Council also has a similar pest control policy.

Self treat or hire a professional firm?

So for any pest or vermin problem, including rats, mice, squirrels, bed bugs, cockroaches, fleas, wasps, pigeons or rabbits, it becomes the responsibility of the owner/occupier of a consumer or business property to either treat the problem themselves or get in a private professional firm.

When choosing a pest controller make sure they are at the very minimum full BPCA (British Pest Control Association) Members. This secures a high degree of professionalism. With CEPA Certified Pest Control Firms you can be sure it is the very best service available.

We would also recommend using smaller businesses that have local knowledge, a good reputation and high service levels. Some pest types always require a professional treatment to prevent the problem spreading or recurring e.g. bed bugs. Please don’t hesitate to call for advice. We are always happy to help.

Do you need help?

If you need help with pest control in your council property please contact us today and we can advise on the most cost-effective treatment.